Just saw an article published by ABCNews about 8 of the biggest layoffs for the Labor Day weekend. You can find the whole article here but the recap is below.
- Hewlett Packard Co. – Expecting to purge over 27,000 people from it’s payroll by 2014.
- American Airlines – Tracking to lose 10,000 people by the end of the year.
- PepsiCo – Cutting 8,700 employees in 2012.
- Food Lion – Closing over 100 stores and cutting headcount by roughly 4,900 people
- Procter & Gamble – Already has cut nearly 3,000 positions this year and expects to about another 2,700 in the next 18 months.
- Old Country Buffet, Inc. – Over 3,000 workers will be hit with the closure of 81 restaurants.
- Albertsons – Reductions will be affecting nearly 2,500 people in California and Nevada.
- Best Buy Co. Inc. – 2,400 people are expected to be let go.
All big companies and all that you would expect would be a “safe” employment opportunity. Remember, corporations are in existence to stay alive and remain profitable. Cutting employees is not a personal issue, it is a “Business Decision.”
Constantly prepare yourself to be ready for a job search. Your next one might be right around the corner.